Sunday, November 17, 2013

Leeds Abbey Dash 10k 2013

Believe it or not, this was my third race in as many weeks. Two weeks ago I ran the Deepdale Dash 10k and last week it was the grueling Goathland Trail Marathon. I wasn't planning on making it a hat-trick of races but couldn't resist the temptation of a flat, fast and local10k race.  I just hoped that a week of rest after a marathon would be sufficient for my legs to recover enough to run a 10k.

So, once again, Zoe and I jumped in the car and set off for another race.  Two weeks ago it was a one hour drive south to Barton Upon Humber, last week it was a one hour drive north to Goathland and this time it was a one hour drive west to Leeds.  It's great to be able to travel around Yorkshire trying out races and seeing different parts of the county.  

With 10,000 runners, the Leeds Abbey Dash 10k turned out to be a big race.  I'm pleased to say that the organisation was fantastic and everything ran without a hitch.  We soon found ourselves on the starting area and feeling very excited. After missing my 10k PB by a matter of 7 seconds at the Deepdale Dash a couple of weeks earlier, I was hoping to snag one here as this was a much faster course. Just hoped the legs would hold out.  

Once under way, I soon found my form and clocked the miles off. My pace was good and the legs felt fine.  The course was indeed flat and perfect for a fast time.  It was basically an out and back along a river valley through the centre of the city.  I reached the 5k turn around point in 20mins 30secs.  I turned for home and focused on maintaining my form.  My legs were coping fine and my confidence began to grow.  The last mile arrived and my legs were finally reminding me that they had run a marathon only 8 days earlier but I demanded that they hang on.  Not long to go.  The finish line soon came and I crossed the line in 41mins 28secs. A PB by 40 seconds!  Elation flooded my mind and the pain was gone.

Zoe P ran a 42min 54sec time. Her second fasted 10k and felt pretty happy too.  This was a great 10k race. Flat and fast, well organised and an exciting atmosphere with 10,000 runners. We will be back in 2014 but with fresher legs next time! 

Featured Post

Knee Knacker 2013

The Knee Knacker is a bit of a iconic race on the West Coast of Canada, especially amongst the trail running community. First run in 1989,...